The medieval city walls of Vienna are being renovated.
The new fortifications are built in the Italian manner, whereby bastions (Bastei in Viennese) were connected with ramparts in a star-shaped formation.
The so-called Braunbastei, named after the engineer in charge, is being built where Palais Coburg now stands.
1802 Count Franz Koháry, a wealthy Hungarian aristocrat, acquires buildings on the Bastei.
Prince Ferdinand von Sachsen-Coburg,
son of an aristocratic family from Upper Franconia (now Germany), marries Maria Antonia Gabriele Koháry, the Count’s daughter. After her death, the Coburg dynasty becomes the owners of the house.

Prince Ferdinand, a Cavalry General in the Imperial Austrian Army, has a magnificent palace built on Braunbastei. The plans are created by the architect Karl Schleps, who is almost unknown in Vienna. After Schleps’ death, the building is constructed by the master builder Adolph Korompay.

The fact that the palace was built before the demolition of the fortifications on Braunbastei is the reason why large parts of the renaissance fortifications - particularly the casements of the former Braunbastei - have been preserved to an extent which is unique in Vienna.

The free-standing pillars of the median risalits of the neoclassical palace gave it the nickname “Asparagus Castle” in local vernacular.

The premieres
of Johann Strauss’ works
“Albion Polka“ and “Windsor Sounds” (dedicated to Queen Victoria and her husband Prince Albert) are performed in Palais Coburg.
v. Orleans
1852 August, the second son of Prince Ferdinand,

and his wife Princess Clementine de Orleans (daughter of the French King) now moves into the completed palace in Vienna.

The state rooms are equipped with the insignia of the French monarchy and the Sachsen-Coburg dynasty for the couple. Parts of the palace are adapted and rented out as apartments.

Emperor Franz
Josef I
orders the demolition of the Vienna fortifications and has today’s Ringstraße built.
The figurative sculptures on the median risalits of Coburgbastei are completed.

1871 The single-storey exhibition building of the Gardening Society is erected in front of the palace.

1945-1955 The building is damaged at the end of the Second World War by artillery shells and bombs. Russian soldiers are housed in the palace after the war.

1955-1997 Two floors are rented to Austrian Federal Railways as offices.

1978 The last
Coburg owner,
Princess Sarah Aurelia,
1978 The last
Coburg owner,
Princess Sarah

sells the palace to a realtor, who makes it into the subject of speculation.

In 1992 it was bought by the Länderbank and the Zentralsparkasse, two Austrian banks.

Palais Coburg is acquired by the POK Pühringer Foundation.
At that time, only the contours and decorative elements of the facade and parts of the stucco of the once magnificent palace remained, along with decrepit wall coverings and some gilding in the state rooms.
After three years of planning and a further three years of reconstruction, the palace is restored to its former brilliance and
reopened as a hotel.